HOME

Thursday, February 9, 2006

I'm Thinking About Getting Schnockered!

I've never cared for alcohol... So I've never taken up drinking but recently I was introduced to "Ice Wine" at Straits Cafe and loved it! For those unfamiliar, ice wine is sweet. Very very sweet. Like Martinelli's sparkling cider sweet with a little bit of fizz in it. After a bit of web based research I learned that it is a French wine where the grapes are left on the vine until the first heavy frost. They are picked in the morning and are immediately pressed while still frozen so there is less water and apparently more sugar.

After my first taste I decided to go buy a bottle. Luckily my sister had given me a Whole Foods gift card for Christmas that was burning a hole in my pocket so I took my gal pal Judy with me and off we went in search of my first bottle of booze!

We quickly realized our quest wouldn't take long. They only had two bottles to choose from. One was $19.99 the other was close to $54. My gift card was for $50 and being a novice to fine wines I figured I was only worthy of the cheaper one.

Sadly, despite my grand intentions to take up social drinking, my bottle of ice wine has become nothing more then a mere conversation piece. I bring it out to show it to friends and excitedly tell them how I plan to drink a big glass some day and get "schnockered" but come on, who am I kidding? The only thing that bottle is going to do is collect dust. (Actual bottle pictured at left)

Apparently for some of us... It's as hard to start drinking as it is for others to stop.

0 Click Here to Comment: