HOME

Friday, October 12, 2007

Funny how you forget...

After receiving my gorgeous hat from my friend Corinne Okada the other night it reminded me that 5 years ago I modeled her second hat for her in a photo shoot. WOW 5 years ago! I love this picture yet I'd forgotten all about it. It's amazing what professional hair styling, make up and photography can do to make a girl more photogenic. LOL. Since then Corinne has made some truly extraordinary sculptures.

Corinne's "thing" is that she uses recycled materials to create her wonderful art. Mostly she uses Chinese and Japanese candy and food wrappers but also incorporates Asian news print, comic books, salvaged scraps of fabric from local fashion designers and anything else that suits the theme and purpose of a given commission. Then she sets to work with wire and pliers and creates a frame that she will cover with her mixed media selections which vary from project to project.

Have you ever seen anything else like it? I haven't. Her work has sold coast to coast and beyond. She's the most prolific artist I know, always working on a new commission every time I talk to her.

She's amazing!








All photos copyright © George R. Young

0 Click Here to Comment: