HOME

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Instead of smelling roses...

Recently I was in San Francisco on a particularly overcast day when, after parking my car, I began walking down the sidewalk and spotted these gorgeous cactus flowers growing in a pot on the sidewalk!

I'd never seen anything like them before. I've seen a lot of blooming cacti around here but this one was special. The petals truly look like bird feathers. So instead of stopping to smell the roses. I stopped to photograph a cactus. It may not have been as fragrant but it was just as rewarding.

It also made me wonder if brides ever use cactus flowers in their bouquets and arrangements. I have no idea if the flowers are long lasting or wither quickly. If they do last they would be pretty show stopping to use in a  wedding.

4 Click Here to Comment:

Jubilee Lau said...

wow, it looks so delicate! It's beautiful!

Tinygami said...

It's amazing a flower that beautiful can come out a dried up, wizened looking, scraggly plant like a cactus. It was such an unexpected sight. I'm so glad I noticed it. It really left me in a bit of awe.

DK Designs said...

Believe it or not, I saw your post and then a girl contacted me to see if I could make this flower out of clay. Coincidence??? It's the first time I had ever seen one. It's got a very unusual name to boot.

Tinygami said...

How odd! I wonder if she saw it here or always knew about them? If you make one, I want to see it! It'll be gorgeous! In fact if you make one take a picture and I'll add it to this post :D