HOME

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Photographers: What Camera Should I Buy?


How cute is this?
An original origami camera fold from a single dollar bill by artist Won Park.

It's time. I really want to drop some cash on a new camera. Some of you may have read in the past that all of the pictures I shoot for the blog are taken with my teeny tiny point and shoot Canon Powershot SD600 Digital Elph.

So... What to buy? I'm hoping some of you might be able to steer me in the right direction.

What I want in a new pocket-point-and-shoot:
1. BETTER CLARITY

2. Macro capability

3. Video capability

4. Better low light options

5. Better auto-stabilization

What I'm willing to spend:

Quality is more important then cost

In case it's helpful to see what I'm already working with... My current camera features are:

High quality, ergonomically designed 6.0 Megapixel Digital ELPH with 3x Optical Zoom and UA Lens

Large 2.5 inch LCD screen and optical viewfinder for easy on-camera viewing

New ISO 800 reduces image blur and expands low-light shooting ability

DIGIC II Image Processor and iSAPS Technology for superior image quality, faster operation and lower power consumption

Fast Frame Rate Movie Mode for shooting high-quality movies up to 60 fps QVGA (320 x 240)

So, any suggestions of what you think would be the perfect camera for me? Those of you who know me well know my camera is either in my hand or in my purse at all times. I love taking photos for my blog and want to continue to do so this year hopefully slowly but surely improving the quality of my output. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDITED TO ADD:

My friend Chung suggested jumping straight to a lower end DSLR to start with and learning how to use the camera and lenses I would need first before jumping to a high end DSLR model... Great advcie!

This was my reply:

Thank you Chung. That is really great advice!

I do have two lenses already that I used to use with my Cannon Rebel, old film style. Both a macro and a zoom. I don't know if they will be compatible with the 5D Mark II but hope they will be. I do want to learn how to use the DSLR for sure. And yes, your advice to get a cheap or used body for now is great! I'll probably opt for whichever is cheaper :o)

The lenses I have are the:

Sigma 70-120mm 1:3.5-4.5 APO Macro

and a

Sigma 28-105mm Aspherical Zoom

One of my main reasons for upgrading to a better point and shoot is that I eventually want both. There are many times when bringing the larger camera won't be appropriate... Like when I am a guest at an event and not there to be a "photographer." (Which is almost always the case) I also really want one with the video function as well as my current camera has the video option and it's turned out to be very handy the past year. I will go look at them in person as you suggested.

So I figured first things first. Get the point and shoot so I can continue taking my blog photos then figure out the DSLR.

Thanks for all of your advice and time to type it all out for me.

I really do appreciate it!

Stacie

6 Click Here to Comment:

Events by Evonne, LLC said...

Stacie - you don't want to graduate to a DSLR? Now that I have one, I am not sure if I can go back to a P&S! The pictures taken by a DSLR are SO much better! :)

Tinygami said...

I do want a better camera but when I make that investment I want the Canon EOS 5D Mark II... OMG that camera makes me drool like the stuff at Citizen Cake and Miette combined. LOL But I want to wait a year for the price to come down. So this would be a temporary camera just for this year.

Cindy Robinson said...

That picture is so cute and I agree with your camera thoughts so far. Wait for the price to go down on DSLR...

Events by Evonne, LLC said...

Wow, that's a big jump from a P&S to the 5D Mark II! Yeah, I saw photos taken by that camera and it's crazy... with an ISO up to 25,600? You can totally shoot in the dark! :)

Anonymous said...

This camera is my dream point-and-shoot:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/573592-REG/Panasonic_DMC_LX3K_Lumix_DMC_LX3_Digital_Camera.html


It makes images that look like this:
http://theblogisfound.com/index.cfm?postID=413

Tinygami said...

Oooh thanks Andrew! I'm reading up on it now and found an article that also talks about the Nikon P6000 and the Canon G10. I want to make the purchase this weekend so your advice is very much appreciated!