HOME

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Please Don't SPAM my Comments

First off let me say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has ever left a genuine comment on this blog. You may have noticed I don't usually solicit comments so when people do leave them it means a lot to me and I appreciate them greatly. This post is not directed at you.

For those of you who are attempting to use comments as a means to create link backs to your own websites I would like to gently point out that my stated comments policy is:
Please do NOT post a string of keywords as your name. Comments received in this fashion will either not be published or the link will be removed. The Flirty Blog reserves the right to modify, delete or decline to publish comments that are considered to be SPAM.
Basically I'm asking you to please leave your real name, a user name or even your company name as the author of your comments. For instance if I leave a comment somewhere I might use one of three usernames with a link back to my blog or website:
  1. Stacie Tamaki
  2. The Flirty Girl
  3. The Flirty Guide
What I won't do is leave a comment from "San Francisco Bay Area Wedding Resource" as a link back to my website. Yes, it may be keyword rich and may help to direct your readers to my website but quite frankly I think it's impolite and disingenuous to so overtly troll for potential clients on another blogger's blog.

My point is: Would you go to a party or to dinner at someone's home and introduce yourself to other guests as "what you sell" and immediately hand your business card to every person in the room? I'm hoping you're nodding your head *no*. So why do that on people's blogs and websites?

My best advice is if you want people to click on your name and visit your website, leave a very funny, clever, informative or thought provoking comment. It works. Trust me. When I read great comments on other blogs I'll click on that person's link to see what else they have to say about other things :)

1 Click Here to Comment:

Angela said...

Excellent post!! I recently started a blog of my own and was blown away at how much SPAM I receive. Not cool!! I'm admittedly pretty naive when it comes to the world of blogging and am not understanding the point of some of the ridiculous comments I receive (all which have absolutely nothing to do with the actual post), but fortunately have installed a plug-in that seems to catch the majority.