HOME

Saturday, February 19, 2011

San Francisco's Ferry Building Scores a Win with Pepples Donuts

OMD. Oh My Donut. Thing is I don't even really like donuts. But yesterday I saw a display of donuts that was so eye catching and so intriguing I had to have some.

Pepples (reads as and formerly known as "Peoples") is a well known East Bay donut company that's now also available in San Francisco at a kiosk inside the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. Located right across from the Sur la Table kitchen store you can't miss them if you know where to look.

The eye catching part is obvious right?

In the foreground on the white boards were the glazed cake donuts and in the background on brown boards were yeast raised donuts like glazed, twists, bars, a pineapple fritter and jelly filled.

The intriguing aspect I alluded to earlier was this sign I noticed above the kiosk. That's right. 100% Organic & vegan donuts. I'm not vegan but turns out I love vegan donuts!

Prices seemed to range from $2 to $3 per donut and the list of flavors for the glazed cake donuts was pretty WOW. That day there was Apple, Matcha Green Tea, Kaffir Lime Leaf, Philz Coffee, Blood Orange, Salted Caramel, Coconut Whiteout, Chocolate Cookie, Maple Candy Cap, Vanilla Cookie, Cinnamon Sugar and many more...

That's owner Josh Levine bagging my donuts. I love that he uses an eco friendly iPad as his cash register. Why do I say eco-friendly? I thought it was super cool that he emailed me a copy of my receipt instead of printing one!

So, what did I order?

1 Salted Caramel Donut

1 Apple Donut

1 Blood Orange Donut

They were soooooooo pretty! I brought them home and waited until this morning to sample them because I wanted to photograph them all pretty-like to share with you here on the blog.

It was a close tie for favorite flavor but out of this batch I think the Blood Orange nudged Salted Caramel out of the lead. It was really good. So good I kind of forgot they were vegan while I was sampling them. The cake donut dough is dense but very light and didn't taste greasy at all. Not wanting to eat three entire donuts by myself, I ended up sharing them with a friend I met over lunch so that she (a full time vegan) and her hubby could sample them too.

The next time I go to the San Francisco I think I'm going to try the Blueberry, Orange Creamsicle and Lemon Poppyseed. I'll be sure to post a follow up when that happens :)



Find Pepples Donuts:

San Francisco: The Ferry Building:
7 days a week
Monday-Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sunday 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Oakland: Pepples Donut Farm
6037 San Pablo Ave. Oakland 94608
Open 3 days a week
Friday 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Saturdays 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
sundays 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM

The Donut Farm also serves Vegan Brunch from 9:00 AM to 2:30 PM Saturdays & Sundays.

Bay Areawide:
Or CLICK HERE to view a list of the forty locations Bay Areawide that sell Pepples Donuts from Berkeley to Santa Cruz and San Francisco to San Jose which includes cafes, coffee shops, grocery stores and restaurants.

2 Click Here to Comment:

Wing said...

They look so yummy and colourful! I'm not a big fan of doughnuts too... find them bit too stodgy/heavy on the stomach but these look so tempting. LOL @ the iPad... so cool... you guys in SF are so tech-modern! We still use paper and pen to write receipts out here!

Tinygami said...

Hi Mumuji! You can try one when you are on your trip! I may become a donut lover after all :)

Sometimes I take for granted how high-tech we are here in Silicon Valley. But then when I do travel and see local businesses don't have websites, restaurants don't post their menus online and many aren't listed on Yelp, it makes me realize that we rely much more on the internet here in Northern California than other places.