HOME

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New DISQUS Comments System... My apologies

disqusIf you woke up this morning to find a bunch of email alerts for comments you've left on The Flirty Blog for the past few years, my apologies.

In an effort to upgrade your experience when you want to comment on the blog I installed the DISQUS commenting system but didn't realize it would resend comment notifications. My bad :(

So why did I put you through that? There are several really cool things about DISQUS I thought would be great additions to The Flirty Blog:
  1. Now I can reply to individual comments instead of having to post all comments into a single, chronological thread.
  2. Now you can receive an email notification your comment has received a response, and you can respond back through your email account.
  3. Full integration with Youtube, Flickr, and more. Attach photos and videos within your comment!
  4. Fully compatible with mobile websites for commenting while on the go. The default mobile theme is formatted with smartphones, like the iPhone or Android phones, in mind.
Comments also now run in a reverse order. Before the oldest comment was first and the newest was the last at the bottom of the page. Now the most recent comment is at the top of the comments section and the oldest is at the bottom.

I first noticed the DISQUS commenting system on my friend Robbie Schlosser's blog. He's been pleased with it (as have many other bloggers I know) so I thought I'd give it a try. If you visit his MagnoliaJazz.com/blog you'll see Robbie has also started vlogging (creating video clips) on his blog. I've been meaning to do the same for about a year now. I suppose I better get going on that! Following in Robbie's footsteps again. Robbie is a great friend and blogger. He keeps very up to date with new social media trends so I'm always learning about new things from him :)

ETA: I've discovered two known bugs with DISQUS for Blogger thanks to one of their technical reps getting back to me:

  1. The back button on your browser may take you back to the blog home page instead of the page you were just on. I'm told this issue is being addressed. I also think most visitors stick to the home page or enter through direct urls so this may not be too big of a deal.
  2. Once visitors leave the home page using the "Older Posts" link the comment link doesn't always appear. You can still access the post to leave a comment by clicking on the post title but that isn't obvious.
So I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if these bugs are fixed. If they aren't as much as I love some of the other features I may have to remove DISQUS. I'll keep you posted as soon as I learn anything.

ETA: Additional comments for this post have been closed.

0 Click Here to Comment: