HOME

Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Big, Shiny, Silver, Slide at Google HQ in Sunnyvale, CA

Google is known for creating both practical and fun amenities for their employees. Some are so unbelievable there's an actual Snope's page verifying that they're true.

For instance they now have a big, shiny, winding, silver slide in Sunnyvale very similar to the one they have in their Zurich office in Switzerland. It travels from the second floor to the first floor in a steep vertical S curve.


Today I got to ride the slide but we were in such a hurry I didn't have time to stop and shoot a photo of it. So I found this image on Flickr where Robert Nyman has given a license to use it with attribution.


In the top row are Keith and John and in the bottom row, Gordon and I.

You may be wondering why my hand is over my mouth. It's because I started screaming a high pitched scream on the way down. I couldn't help it. I was going that fast!

Not the most flattering angle but kind of a funny picture.

At the top of the slide is a video screen where you can watch the person who was ahead of you slide down and clear the bottom. I watched the guys go down one by one and they didn't look like they were going too fast. So I didn't think I would.

But I did.

I'm not sure if it was because I am shorter, lighter, had on a cashmere sweater (maybe cashmere is faster than cotton) or because I paid better attention during the last winter Olympics and knew how to position my body and hold my arms in tight like a luge athlete, but I was like quick-freaking-silver. I flew down the slide at top speed and started screaming halfway down which was embarrassing because the slide ends in a lounge area where people were sitting. But I couldn't stop screaming so I had to slap my hand over my mouth to stop. LOL

As I dropped my feet off the bottom of the slide to plant them firmly on the ground the guys seemed equally surprised at how fast I was. They said I was very aerodynamic.

A big thank you to my friend Scott for having us over to try out the slide. It was way fun!

0 Click Here to Comment: