HOME

Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Growing Tribute at One Infinite Loop

Tonight there was a small gathering of people that steadily grew at the headquarters of Apple Inc. in Cupertino. There were lots of news cameras and trucks with satellite dishes on them. Nobody was saying much of anything. Just a lot of people paying silent tribute to Steve Jobs.

Perhaps some were friends, others employees and of course the fans who loved his company and products.

Click to Enlarge

There is a bench on the south side of 1 Infinite Loop which someone had affixed an ipad to that displayed the home page of Apple.com with the memorial photo of Steve Jobs. It was surrounded by flowers, candles, cards and signs.

After spending time near the bench we walked to the front of the building where the flags were flying at half-mast.


Earlier today I changed my Facebook profile picture to one of me and my first computer. For years I resisted owning a computer. I was happy with my little Brother electric typewriter and thought I was the only one who hadn't been suckered into the crazy computer and internet phenomenon occurring everywhere around me.

FInally, after much resistance, I purchased my first computer in 2002. It was a cute little grape iMac G3 DV.

I don't use it anymore but I still have it and have been a loyal mac fan since that day.

Tomorrow and the coming days and weeks will bring more memorials and tributes but to me the most wonderful thing is that Steve Jobs' legacy lives on in his company, in the world of technology and in the commencement address he gave at Stanford in 2005.

Any one of these would have been an admirable accomplishment, the fact that he accomplished all three, and made time for a personal life, for a family and friends shows us all that we should think and dream big. Huge. Why not? As he said at Stanford:
"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

ETA: I was very surprised to find an email in my inbox this morning from the BBC asking if they could use the photos I took last night in an online slide show. I said yes because the whole reason I took them was to help everyone who doesn't live here feel just a little bit closer to Cupertino ♥

0 Click Here to Comment: