HOME

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Wood name tags made on a laser cutter


Last night my friend Gordon and I collaborated to make name tags out of wood. It was Gordon's idea to make them out of a sheet of cherry wood for our first TEDx Sunnyvale event. I was the designer, he did the production.

Admittedly, they weren't perfect. But seeing how the theme of our event was "Prototypes" I felt like I shouldn't focus too much on the end result but instead the fact that we were willing to try something new.

The smell of burnt wood was actually quite fragrant.

How did we, or make that Gordon, make them? On a laser cutter! I would love to get into all of the details tonight but I'm so tired I'm about to fall over and fall asleep. Which, for an insomniac like me, is pretty amazing! So I'll do a full recap in a day or two.

Shot with my macro lens: 45mm / F2.8 at 1/40 shutter speed.

Where did we make them? At TechShop. When they say "Build Your Dreams Here" they mean it. I'm dreaming up all kinds of things I'd love to make. Oh, and our TEDx event was a lot of fun and very inspiring. We had a great turnout and I hope everyone had as much fun as we (the organizers) did.

0 Click Here to Comment: