HOME

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I'm going to Seattle to be a panelist at BlogHer Food 2012!

There will be a multitude of food related topics being discussed at the BlogHer Food conference next month including: Finding your voice, becoming an author, publishing, lots of food photography tracks, social media topics, hunger in America, building a career in food, health and social justice.

I'll be speaking at an advanced Value's track titled: Taking Your Blog Activism to the Next Level. I couldn't be more thrilled to have been invited to speak at BlogHerFood.

When it comes to activism, as a certified volunteer advocate for the National Marrow Donor Program (aka Be The Match), I blog most frequently about the need for more people to join the national bone marrow registry. Once a year I blog about the crazy Halloween costumes I make for my dog to support and encourage the adoption of shelter dogs. But I do blog about a multitude of food related issues on a fairly regular basis.


BlogHer Food 2012: Seattle, Washington
Date: June 8, 2012
Time: 3:00 PM - 4:15 PM
Conference Track: Values
Session Description:

"Have blog, will change the world. If you have passion and the power of the pen (amplified by the Internet), you can accomplish a lot. This panel, with Dawn Brighid, Jaelithe Judy, and Stacie Tamaki will look at blogger activism that went the extra mile... off the blog and into the real world, creating real change. What are the techniques and tools you can use? How do you get the word out? How do you establish yourself as a credible and effective change agent?"

If I know you I hope I'll see you. If I don't I hope I'll meet you in Seattle!

A few examples of food related posts here on The Flirty Blog would be:

Participating two years in a row in the Food Blogger Bake Sale to help end childhood hunger in the United States.

Volunteering at my local food bank sorting packaged goods, tangerines, and carrots.

Discussing biodynamic and organic farming practices.

Helping to promote weekend donations of food to underserved children through The Giving Back Group's support of Blessings in a Backpack

Becoming vegetarian and discussing the unnecessary cruelty many farm animals (particularly chickens, cows and pigs) suffer due to the current regulations regarding factory farming after meeting Jonathan Safran Foer the author of Eating Animals and John Robbins who wrote The Food Revolution.

And when it comes to healthy food and good nutrition I had to write this post about Jamie Oliver's television series: The Food Revolution.

And raising awareness that it is possible for restaurants to offer healthy, delicious affordable food every time I blog about LYFE Kitchen.

So though I may not blog about a single food topic with the same fervor as the need for more people to join the bone marrow registry, I do blog about food in many ways that at the end of the day are either calls to action to help others or to help ourselves enjoy more nutritious, healthy, and humanely produced food.

0 Click Here to Comment: