HOME

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day one to day six photos of our newly hatched baby hummingbirds

Friday June 29, 2012

Wow. Hard to believe that just last Friday the baby hummingbirds looked like this. Or should I say hummingbird? When my friend Dana took my iPhone camera, held it over the nest and randomly fired off some shots I think only one had hatched. At the time we didn't think he got anything. But now I realize that little blob with the white stripes and bright orange beak is a newly hatched baby!

 Monday July 2, 2012

Just a few days later I took a peek in from a ladder when I noticed the mom had been off the nest for around 15 minutes and this is what I saw. Two babies huddled together. Note how much of the interior of the nest you can see.

Wednesday July 4, 2012

Just two days later and look at how much they've grown! You can hardly see any of the nest interior at all. They've more than doubled in size in just two days! I think baby birds are the only babies that are ugliest when they're born and they get cuter as they get older. In the picture above you're looking at the backs of the two babies and to the upper right a leg towards the top and wing (elbow) below and right beside it.

Soon they'll be so big their little heads will have to point upwards and out of the nest. Then I'll be able to start getting cute pictures of them :)


And in case you missed the previous post, here is the mom sitting on the nest back on June 14th, 2012. So cute!

0 Click Here to Comment: