HOME

Sunday, July 29, 2012

How big is a hummingbird's nest?

The one in my backyard is an inch and a half wide and high! I thought since the babies had fledged I could pop up on the ladder to take a picture of the nest with a ruler beside it because some of you had asked how big is the hummingbird's nest?


Well, since one of the babies had been hanging out in the same tree for the past week I didn't want to cause a ruckus and climb the ladder and freak the fledgling out. So I waited. And waited. And waited.


Today the baby left the tree and flew to a neighbor's tree then up to the power line. Which was the perfect opportunity for me to haul out the ladder with tape measure in hand.


I also took a picture of the inside of the nest. It looked so soft and cozy. It's lined with spider webs, feathers, and a few tiny pieces of moss.

Amazing!

Since birds can't smell and mama was nowhere in sight, I touched the inside of the nest with one finger to see what it felt like. I can tell you it's like there was nothing there. It was like feeling air, but softer. Those little babies had it good hanging out in their comfy little nest.

If you want to view all of the baby hummingbird posts since day 1 just CLICK HERE.

0 Click Here to Comment: