HOME

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Healthy food can be cheaper than fast food

This morning I stopped by the Urban Village Farmer's Market in the pouring rain. The veggies looked particularly gorgeous due to the cool and wet weather. My purchases confirmed that it's a myth that fast food is cheaper than healthy food.

For a mere $10.50 (I'm guessing that's about the price of two combo meals at any fast food restaurant) I was able to purchase:


1 large bunch of celery
1 small head of broccoli
1 large bunch of kale
1 large onion
1 bunch of carrots
3 medium beets (with their greens which are also edible)
2 medium potatoes

Oh, and they were all organic.

Add some lentils, brown rice or pasta, (all very affordable ingredients) and that's enough food to make me a weeks worth of soups, pastas, stir frys, or roasted veggies for lunch or dinner.

I feel very fortunate that I don't live in a food desert but must admit I've often opted for the convenience of frozen veggies over fresh. The benefits of fresh vegetables, especially from the Farmers' Market, is that I'm supporting local growers and cutting down on waste as the veggies don't come packaged in plastic bags or containers.

I'll follow up soon with a great lentil soup recipe my mom gave me while we were chatting on the phone. It's so inexpensive and easy to make I don't know why I ever bought canned lentil soup!

0 Click Here to Comment: