HOME

Friday, January 11, 2013

A tiny teardrop trailer build update: Hoops, paint, and wheels


The latest update photos are really bringing my flirty custom trailer to life! Fred (who's building my trailer in Michigan) sent these shots of the steel hoops that create the frame for the sidewalls of the cabin and tongue box.


Most teardrop trailers are made by adding plywood and framing to the chassis but Fred builds trailers the way I wanted mine to be, with a steel cage framing the cabin. Soon he'll have all kinds of cross bars attached both within the walls and spanning the two sides to create the ceiling and front and rear walls.


This is a jig he made to bend the steel into the curvatures needed for the tongue box and cabin frame.


Wow. That looks like a lot of work. Have to admit I'm glad he's doing it instead of me.


He needed me to send him the paint color I'll be using for the interior walls and ceiling because it's easier to paint the wood before assembling the interior than after. The walls will be the mid pink and the cabinets the the darker aqua. I lined them up side by side in the photo. Envisioning Fred crammed into my tiny pink trailer as he builds it kind of makes me laugh a bit. I hope he doesn't mind working in such a girly environment.


And here one of Fred's finished trailers models my baby moon hubcaps. I love the mirrored fisheye effect they create. It's a very retro look.


The tires, wheels, and axle all arrived in good condition.


Can't wait for the next update. I'm going to begin building my interior cabinets here in California any day now. Just need to do a bit more research on building techniques.

That's all for now until the next update!



To follow the entire build thread from beginning to end just click on the "Trailer - Build" category on the side bar or CLICK HERE.

To view all of my trailer gear and decorating posts CLICK HERE.

0 Click Here to Comment: