HOME

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

How to know where there's snow

So here's my conundrum. Fred (my trailer builder) is scheduled to complete my tiny travel trailer by April 1, 2013. But I'm not scheduled to pick it up on that date.


We wrote in our contract that I would come get it when there is no snow on the ground between California and Michigan because I don't want to tow it back in snow or on ice. So how will I know when it's the right time?


I went on Google and searched for a snow coverage map and *voila* up came the Intellicast website. Not only does it show where there's snow, it also shows how deep it is. Back on February 26th you can see there was quite a bit of snow on the ground as a recent blizzard had pummeled the midwest.


But just yesterday things were looking much less snowy! I'll be checking in every day until the time is right and then I'll hit the road.

I wanted to share the link to Intellicast because I thought it might be useful to others who are also driving cross country in the winter or spring. Sometimes you just have to love the internet and its modern conveniences. To be able to see where there's snow on the ground between nine states with just a click of the mouse is a pretty incredible thing.

0 Click Here to Comment: