HOME

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

M Magazine: My first magazine feature as a food photographer and writer


Do you read M Magazine? It's a regional, Bay Area magazine "for the woman in every mom."  It also happens to be the first publication for which I've become a published food photographer and writer contributing to their "Good Taste" feature.

View the May Good Taste feature by CLICKING HERE

This is really exciting since I never set out to become either but have, thanks to my blog and the delicious and winding roads of the Bay Area, become known for both. In the May issue (on page 116) my restaurant recommendations are a food tour that includes stops in Campbell, Mountain View, Pescadero, Pleasanton, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Cruz, and Willow Glen.

You can pick up a copy at various locations around the Bay Area including Whole Foods (It's a complimentary (free) magazine. You'll probably spot it near the door on your way out. For moms, moms-to-be, and foodies who don't live in the Bay Area you can view the magazine online by CLICKING HERE


Past covers illustrate that M isn't a typical "mommy+baby" magazine. It's about motherhood but from the perspective of being a woman who is also a mom, not a mom who's also a woman. It describes itself this way:

"The premier lifestyle magazine for Bay Area Moms. Read about fashion, home, travel, food, family, and fun in the only upscale magazine for stylish Moms in the Silicon Valley and the Peninsula!"


As a contributor I also have a bio and headshot in the magazine's masthead. I'm really looking forward to making my future contributions. With 8 issues a year I'll have to find, eat, and photograph even more fantastic food around the Bay Area. For work purposes, of course.


You may be wondering how did they find out about me? Well, the story goes like this. . .  Laurel Ann Winzler of Laurel Designs, a florist and wedding industry colleague, saw that a local publication was looking for a Bay Area food blogger to contribute to a feature in their magazine. She sent me the lead because she thought it sounded like me.


I've known Laurel for years. She's a talented SF Bay Area florist who does beautiful work ranging from bridal and bridesmaid bouquets, ceremonies, centerpieces, chuppahs, and cake flowers.


So, Laurel sent me the lead. I responded by thanking her and sent in a reply to the publisher including the link to my blog and six most recent restaurant review posts. The next thing I knew I was submitting content for the May issue. The next thing after that? I committed to contributing content to future issues of M Magazine as a dining expert and possibly, once I have my tiny trailer, also as a travel writer!

It's funny how life evolves. From retails sales, to bridal accessory designer, to web designer and developer, to blogger and social media consultant, and now a food photographer and writer, it all just goes to show if you go with the flow, life will take you to interesting new places. I hope you continue joining me for the ride so that you'll also discover new places to visit whether you live in the Bay Area, are visiting now, or hope to some day in the future.

0 Click Here to Comment: