HOME

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Trailer Update: Overhead Shelf Angles, Battery Charger, and Coupler


Because the trailer is so small Fred, my builder, suggested adding two small overhead shelves for storage. He made them possible by adding metal angles that wooden shelves can be screwed to for stability.


Fred will build the wooden shelves with a lip on the front to hold small storage baskets/containers in place while I'm on the road.


I'm going to paint the shelves myself when I return to San Jose. I'm thinking they should be the same aqua blue as the cabinets I'll be building.

To keep the trailer load balanced I'll only be storing lightweight items in the overhead shelves. Clothes, toiletries, and probably the tent poles and fabric for the awning I'll be making will all store quite nicely in these small nooks.


For the fuse panel Fred left a space for the solar set up. It's a major expense and I'm not sure I'll need one so I want to take the trailer out for a while to see if it's going to be a good investment or money I should have saved.


You may recall he added small tabs to the top of the trailer so that I'll have somewhere to attach a 100 watt solar panel if I decide I need one at a later date.


And this is my AGM (sealed) battery now securely held in place by this nifty battery holder he built. Above it is a battery charger which will allow the on-board battery to charge when the car is in motion. I'll be adding an isolator so that it won't drain my car battery once the tow vehicle is turned off.


And a close up of the coupler and safety chains.

We're definitely in the homestretch. I spoke with him on the phone recently and he said he's now skinned the tongue box. Just a few more details to go.

0 Click Here to Comment: