HOME

Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Blood Moon in Western Michigan

This morning I woke up at 5:00 AM, not to see the Blood Moon, simply because I'm still not a good sleeper and seem to wake up at 5:00 whether there's a reason to or not.

I went out into the living room and attempted to watch the lunar eclipse from the comfort of a heated house. Alas, the trees were too thick and the moon too low in the sky to have an unobstructed view so I watched the moon disappear through a veil of trees.

Blood Moon

When it was completely shadowed over I decided it's now or never, threw on some clothes, grabbed my camera and car keys and drove down the road at 60 mph to get a clear shot before the eclipse was over. I thought I had more time. I didn't realize the moon would "set" before the eclipse concluded so this was as good as it got but I'm happy I went.

It reminded me a lot of the time my dear friend Tracy met me at 4:00 AM to photograph the sunrise on Baker Ridge at Thomas George Estates Winery in Sonoma County's famed Russian River Valley. Only this time it wasn't as much fun because I was alone and it was much colder since I forget to put on my long johns and it was only 24ยบ out. LOL

0 Click Here to Comment: