HOME

Friday, January 18, 2013

Oh My Trailer: We have windows!

My trailer builder Fred sent me his latest pictures of the tiny teardrop trailer he's building for me.

The windows are in! Well, one window was in but there's going to be two. At first I only wanted one window and a tiny one at that.


But then Fred suggested two larger windows just so I wouldn't feel cramped in a tiny box.

And then the lady at Hehr Windows also said I should go bigger. She pointed out that I should have larger windows because if I were ever trapped inside the trailer, like if somehow someone blocked the rear (and only) door entry, I could always use a window as an emergency egress. A little more research and I realized it worked both ways. If some type of catastrophe ever occurred First Responders could extract me from the trailer through a window as well but it would have to be large enough for them to climb into the trailer. Sold.


With the hoops (side wall framing) up the trailer has really taken on its shape. The sidewall tubing is 3/4" steel which may seem thin but keep in mind most trailer builders use 3/4 sheets of plywood (some go even thinner to reduce weight) to create their sidewalls so the steel is actually more structurally sound. By the time we're done Fred will have added in more cross bar supports, filled in the cavities with rigid foam board, skinned the exterior with aluminum and finished the inside with thin wood.

I can't wait for his next update!



To follow the entire build thread from beginning to end just click on the "Trailer - Build" category on the side bar or CLICK HERE.

To view all of my trailer gear and decorating posts CLICK HERE.


0 Click Here to Comment: