HOME

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Be still my glamping heart: The cutest vintage grill ever!


Squeeeeeeeeee! I'm so excited to say that this is The Glampette's new old vintage BBQ grill! It's so cute it just makes my heart go pitter patter every time I look at it.


I saw it in the Ora Grace Vintage shop on Etsy.com last fall. I eyed it longingly but it was part of a larger set of goods and red plaid wasn't going to fit my decor. So I coveted it but never dreamt it would be mine. Then last winter I sent the owner of the shop a message asking if they would sell the grill only. Their polite reply was a simple no, it was part of the larger set of goods. Fair enough. I sent back a reply letting them know that if they ever did decide to split the items I'd be very interested in the grill.

Months later, out of the blue, and just a couple of weeks before leaving for Michigan, a message arrived saying they had decided to split the items. A quick look at their Etsy shop and I saw they were located in Grand Rapids, MI.


As it turned out Grand Rapids is on the way to Greenville! I messaged back that I was driving out to Michigan shortly and would love to be able to purchase the grill and could even come pick it up in person. Long story short arrangements were made and just a couple of weeks later on Day 4 of my "Michigan or Bust" road trip I was the proud owner of this gorgeous, vintage, aqua blue, Big Boy grill!


I tried to learn more about the grill but couldn't find any information on this model on Google. I did learn that Big Boy Mfg. Co. was based in Burbank, CA in the 1950's.


I love that the unit has sidewalls to block the wind.


The grill itself can be raised or lowered. It doesn't look like it's ever been used as there are no char marks inside. The grill needed a good scrubbing with an abrasive kitchen sponge though so I think it may have been used at least once but the tray may have been lined with foil or something similar.


This handle turns and forces the lever beneath the tray to raise or lower the grill.


Of course my furry boy Kitai had to come see what was going on during the Big Boy's photo shoot.


So on Day 4 I left the Newton KOA and drove 7 hours and 37 minutes to Grand Rapids to pick up my new BBQ.

Another 40 minutes and I was in Greenville just minutes away from finally meeting my trailer builder Fred and The Glampette in person!

It was quite the exciting day.

And if you're looking for cute vintage goods like this BBQ be sure to check out the Ora Grace Vintage shop on Etsy.com. I know I'll be checking back for more unique items to accessorize The Glampette.

To be continued.


To follow my Michigan or Bust road reports here they are:

Days 1-3: Picking up my tiny travel trailer: 2364 miles to happiness :)
Day 4: Be still my glamping heart: The cutest vintage grill ever!
Days 4-8: Meeting Fred and The Glampette for the first time
Welcome to The Glampette: A peek inside
Day 8 Part 2: Around the lake and on to Wisconsin Wine Country
Day 9: A suspenseful night at the Kennebec KOA
Day 10: It could have been worse
Day 10 continued:  Overnight at a Walmart, a traveler's rite of passage
And my favorite RV Park was: Hi-Way Haven in Sutherlin, OR
4974 miles later our adventure comes to an end

0 Click Here to Comment: