HOME

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Kitai Update: Looking for signs

It was a small thing, Kitai went to jump in the car yesterday and almost didn't make it onto the front passenger seat. "Maybe he just didn't have his feet under him" I thought to myself.


To look at him you still wouldn't know he's sick with Lymphoma, a type of cancer. Even taking his medicine he's as bright eyed and eager as he's ever been to eat.


In fact, I'm wondering if he's ever been happier in his life since he's been taking his Prednisone and antacids. I've been using Niman Ranch "Fearless" hot dogs as his "pill pockets" to get his medicines into him.


After his medicine he eats a bowl of his favorite Orijen dog food mixed with a little fried egg, tiny bits of hot dog, and some brown rice cereal to help calm his stomach down from the Prednisone.

But even eating two big meals a day my friend Judy noticed yesterday (after not seeing him for a few weeks) that he was thinner than the last time she saw him. I'm sure it's because even though he's eating his body isn't metabolizing the nutrients in the food as efficiently.


For now he's still happy and not in pain so we're continuing to enjoy his remaining time together. We're supposed to have rain for the next four days (It's been pouring since 7:00 AM this morning) so yesterday I took him to Vasona Park in Los Gatos for an hour and let him sniff everything, mark anywhere he wanted to, and walked around the lake after he was done digging in dirt that gophers or ground squirrels had piled up across the lawns.

He had a great time at Vasona Park.

But last night when it was time to hop in the trailer to go to bed he tried and couldn't make it. My heart went *thud*. The realization that he is sliding down that slippery slope that pets and people end up on as the end nears is a reality I can't ignore. I got out of the trailer and gently lifted him in holding him in my arms a few seconds longer than I needed to. Holding onto him. Not wanting to let him go. I'll never be truly ready to let him go.



Updates on Kitai's Condition:

What was left of my heart is being put to the test - February 10, 2014

Kitai Update: Lymphoma and Prednisone - February 13, 2014

True Love: A girl and her dog - February 21, 2014

Kitai Update: Looking for signs - February 26, 2014

Kitai Update: Hanging in there - March 9, 2014

Kitai is almost out of time - March 17, 2014

A once in a lifetime dog. . . RIP Kitai - March 19, 2014

It's been four weeks since you left me - April 15, 2014

0 Click Here to Comment: