HOME

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Devoted Catering by Amiee Alan

When I received an invitation to attend the launch of Devoted Catering's 2011 cuisine tasting themed "Making High Cuisine Accessible" in Emeryville, California I quickly said yes and eagerly awaited the evening of their big event.

Since becoming a vegetarian I often wonder if any food will be available to me when I attend events. Usually there is at least one vegetarian hors d'oeuvre or dish. I was in for a treat that night. There were at least 5 different bites for me to enjoy and Lamont, took good care of me at the food bar making sure I was able to sample each of them.

Stuffed Squash Blossoms

Squash blossoms stuffed with pan grilled squash, caramelized red onions and truffled California chevre. I had never eaten a squash blossom before. It was delicious. I could have eaten an entire tray of them. I wish I had a tray of them right now for dinner tonight.

Forbidden Black Rice Cakes

I'm not sure which was my favorite last night, the squash blossoms or these rice cakes. Jasmine black rice flavored with orange rind, green onions, Laotion chili & coconut served hot and crispy. The chili definitely added a spicy zing that I loved.

Porcini & Truffle Ravioli

The shocking thing about this dish is that I don't like mushrooms or tarragon... And these were mushroom filled raviolis in a tarragon cream sauce...

But I loved them. Go figure! They didn't taste like mushroom. I may have to try procini mushrooms in another dish. Maybe I've finally discovered a mushroom I like. Or maybe I only like them the way Devoted Catering prepares them. It will be fun finding out.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Roasted Brussels sprouts coated with raspberry syrup. I'm a huge fan of Brussels sprouts but have never had them infused with the flavor of raspberry before. Turns out they're super yummy this way.

And for desert I had a single Cream Puff filled with a rich cream of chocolate and hazelnut.

That's Lamont hard at work finishing steaming bowls of the Coconut Lime Mussels. The photo was taken from my "spot" at the end of the long food bar. It was really fun watching the food being prepared in the open kitchen. Like a reality cooking show with no drama, just fantastic food!

Syrah Braised Short Ribs

I didn't sample them but everyone else enjoyed them. There were many other meat dishes as well including petite crab tamales, a lobster bisque soup, honey glazed heritage pork, and prosciutto with fig jam. That's all I can remember off the top of my head but there were even more dishes and they all looked as delicious as the photos here.

Coconut Lime Mussels

Black Cod with Saffron Sauce

Fruit Tarts

I would have loved to have tried one but I was just too full after having 2 rice cakes, 2 squash blossoms, three porcini raviolis, Brussels sprouts and a chocolate hazelnut cream puff. Would I recommend Devoted Catering? Based on their delicious food and the warm and personable interaction I enjoyed with their staff last night I would say absolutely.

Tiffany the bartender was a lot of fun! She was so personable and was having a great time simultaneously working the bar and answering questions guests had about the company.

There was a nice sized crowd, large enough to be fun but small enough to feel intimate and not too loud to talk and have a conversation. Loved that. As it turned out I only knew one person there. LOL Thankfully Maile spotted me soon after I arrived and we hung out together at the food bar with Lamont feeding us for the better part of the evening.

It was such a fun evening and I thank owners Amiee D'maris and Peter Alan, Lamont, Tiffany, Staci (who gave me a gorgeous jar of poached pears as I departed), and the rest of the Devoted Catering staff for their hospitality.

1 Click Here to Comment:

Jessie said...

Finding the right catering company can make any event a breeze!