HOME

Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Aptera Electric Car... It's so cool!

Have you seen an Aptera yet? I just saw two last week on display in a parking lot and snapped this photo. I'm not much of a car person but man they were so cute! I thought I wanted a Smart Car, but now I'm not so sure. Not that I have a new car purchase in my foreseeable future but if I did? I don't know which I'd want more. From a practical standpoint I'd have to say the Smart Car would be better since I make long drives that exceed the Aptara's 100 mile charge capacity, but from an aesthetic pov I love this car!



Cool points:

• Approved for highway and street driving.
• Recharge your Aptera with a standard garage outlet.
• It has solar panels on the roof for interior climate control.
• The Aptera comes with a front impact zone, with side impact panels, air bags and a passenger safety cabin.
• Their site says it costs about 50¢ to charge your Aptera and drive it 100 miles.
• The seat fabric is eco-friendly made of recycled material and dyed with natural dyes.
• Plug and play smart phone audio system. Perfect for your iPhone.

5 Click Here to Comment:

Events by Evonne said...

That's an interesting looking car! How about another Acura??? :)

victoria said...

it looks like a flying bug! :D

Tinygami said...

I wish Acura would come out with a little hybrid. Or have they? I'm so out of the new car loop. Something has to be cute enough to catch my eye on the street to get me to notice it. Turns out all of the cute cars these days are electric or hybrid :)

Anonymous said...

I'm an Aptera fan who was just looking through Google blog search, and ran into this post.

"From a practical standpoint I'd have to say the Smart Car would be better since I make long drives that exceed the Aptara's 100 mile charge capacity, but from an aesthetic pov I love this car!"

The 2e is only the first version of this vehicle to hit the streets. They're also making a 2g, which is a gasoline version that gets over 100mpg, and a 2h, which is a plug-in hybrid version that has 40-60 miles of electric range and then switches over to gasoline. Even for the electric, the "100 miles" number is very conservative; in most real-world driving, you can expect to get more than that.

If you want more information, feel free to ask over at the (unofficial) Aptera Forum -- http://www.apteraforum.com/

Natalie said...

What a coincidence--my sister's boyfriend shot their promo video!