HOME

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Oct 20, 2011 you can view "Miss Representation" on tv


I don't have a daughter to teach not to believe that her worth is determined by her looks and sexuality. Nor do I have a son to teach that women are more, and are worth more, than just the way they look. That's what went through my mind when I saw the trailer to the movie Miss Representation. I'll be watching the movie when it premieres on TV on the OWN network on Oct. 20, 2011, 9/8c.

So how does my awareness about the superficial, sexualized, objectified, unintelligent portrayal of women in media (meaning the press, TV, movies, music videos, etc.) matter?

If you watch the trailer below you may ask yourself the very same question.

But after just a few minutes I realized my awareness does matter because there are things I can do to raise more awareness and break through the stereo types:
  1. Writing about the movie here on my blog to bring it to the attention of those of you who will be interested in watching it is something I can do.
  2. The way I value other women and myself may be two of the most important things I can do.
  3. In my day to day life I can lead by example, being the best role model I can be to everyone (of every age) I interact with showing through my actions this woman is more than how media too often, too easily and probably unthinkingly portrays us.

"When the new documentary film Miss Representation premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, audiences were riveted. . .

As the most persuasive and pervasive force of communication in our culture, media is educating yet another generation that a woman’s primary value lay in her youth, beauty and sexuality—and not in her capacity as a leader, making it difficult for women to obtain leadership positions and for girls to reach their full potential.

The film accumulates startling facts and statistics that leave audiences shaken, armed with a new perspective, and asking the question, “What can we do?”

Miss Representation premieres Oct. 20th at 9/8c on OWN. Host a House Party and spark a dialogue in your neighborhood and community."

Here are some things you can do and places you can go to learn more about and support the Movie:

Watch the movie Tuesday Oct. 20, 2011 on the OWN network 9/8 central time.

www.MissRepresentation.org

Take the Pledge

Host a Screening

On Facebook

Nationwide Screenings



And thanks to my friend Wendy for including me in a Facebook message where she shared the trailer two days ago. I'm really shocked it was the first I'd heard of the movie.

0 Click Here to Comment: