HOME

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I Made Jeni's Goat Cheese Cognac Fig Ice Cream


And on the very first try it came out perfectly!

You have many choices if you'd like to try Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream's original recipe: You can go to Columbus, Ohio and buy it at their retail shops, find it at a local retailer near you, order it online and have it shipped to you on dry ice or you can purchase Jeni's new ice cream recipe book and make it yourself like I did!

It is so delicious! It's a rich vanilla ice cream base with goat cheese blended in to make the ice cream even more rich and ribbons of cognac'ed figs that create an intense fig flavor with more depth thanks to the cognac.

To make the Cognac Fig Sauce I used Courvosisier VS Cognac,
local raw honey, water and organic, dried, black mission figs.

I was thinking I would purchase a bottle of Martell Cognac because I once attended a cognac tasting and dessert bar they hosted at the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco's Union Square. Then, quite by accident, I re-discovered a long ago forgotten bottle of Courvoisier cognac I'd purchased way back in probably 1995 for a Martha Stewart recipe that I only made once. To be honest I don't even remember what the recipe was. But the bottle had been sitting in my cupboard ever since.

It is such a treat. If you love goat cheese, figs and ice cream you'll love it. In the summer Jeni's offers the goat cheese ice cream with roasted cherries and in the fall they switch to the cognac figs. I think it's probably good with any fruit added. If you make it let me know how it comes out :)

0 Click Here to Comment: