HOME

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Do I need a fun and flirty teardrop trailer?

I first became fascinated with teardrop camper trailers several years ago. Compact and lightweight I was shocked when I saw a picture of a Smart for Two car towing a teardrop trailer. I couldn't help but wonder how fun, flirty, economical and adventuresome would it be to have a branded and wrapped teardrop trailer and car traveling around the Bay Area as I work on stories for The Flirty Blog? Especially now as I focus more on promoting local tourism further afield than just San Jose and the South Bay. But why stop there? I could go national!

It's a someday thought I just can't quite seem to get out of my head. Here's why:

Teardrop Trailer
Sooooooooo cute! I think every travel blogger needs a teardrop trailer.

Updated 5/18/13: I didn't get a teardrop, instead I had a custom trailer built in a teardrop size (4'x6') but in the shape of a canned ham. It's a mini hybrid of the two most classic styles of travel trailers. Meet The Glampette! You can follow her build as I posted into a single category for each update from my trailer builder Fred. Just CLICK HERE and click on "Older Posts" at the bottom of each page to see the process from beginning to end.

End of Update


But before diving in and making a purchase I think the smartest way to approach whether I really need a flirty teardrop would be to rent one. Rates range from $130 - $175 (for a two night minimum) at Vacations In A Can. I'm thinking if I tried it and liked it, I could someday go out and purchase and customize one of my very own.

As luck would have it, Vacations In A Can is located right here in the Bay Area just north of San Francisco! Not only do they offer teardrops to rent, they'll also deliver them directly to a pre-approved campground for a nominal fee. Hmmm, I've been wanting to visit Bodega Bay to do some bird photography and it turns out for an additional $61 I can have a teardrop set up and waiting for me at one of three campgrounds. Upon my arrival I could spend the day shooting birds, at night get those sunset pictures I love to take, and the next morning I can head out before dawn to catch the sunrise.

If I try it and like it I'll have to seriously consider investing in a teardrop. If I used it enough, over time, the cost to stay at a campground would be far less than staying at a hotel or B&B when I travel.

Vacations In A Can Teardrop Trailers
Click on the image to visit Vacations In A Can

And Vacations In A Can doesn't just rent, they'll also build you a custom trailer!

Two more companies I'm considering if I decide a teardrop could fit into my flirty blogging lifestyle:

Little Guy Teardrop Trailers
Click on the image to visit Little Guy

Little Guy offers the super cute Rascal I customized and edited into my flirty branded teardrop and Smart Car dream photo above. It's the smallest and lightest of the teardrops I've researched so far weighing in at around 500 lbs. You can even tow it with a motorcycle.

Big Woody Retro Teardrop Trailers
Click on the image to visit Big Woody Campers

A bit heavier but so elegant, Big Woody Campers are simply luxurious! Finished in wood, their top of the line teardrop has a galley kitchen with a mini fridge and sink any traveling foodie would drool over.

Decisions decisions. If you own one I'd love to hear your thoughts about the pros and cons of this mode of travel.

I'm thinking it would even be fun to hang out in the teardrop when it's parked at home too. It could be my girl cave. And instead of backyard BBQ's I'd have to host tailgate parties in my driveway :)

0 Click Here to Comment: