HOME

Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Best Brussels Sprouts EVER!

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of dining at Firefly Restaurant, in Noe Valley on the outskirts of downtown San Francisco. My friend Helen ordered the brussels sprouts appetizer. I'd never eaten brussels sprouts until a few years ago and when I cooked them I oven roasted them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. I thought they were good. Not great, not bad, just pretty good.

So when her brussels sprouts came to the table we were all stunned by how amazing they smelled and the fact that they tasted even better then the aroma wafting across the table. The outler layers were thin and crispy and oh so yummy! As we all dove in with our forks we ALL commented at how they were the best brussels sprouts any of us had ever eaten.

They were so good I got an order to go and ate them cold out of the fridge the next day for breakfast.

We asked our waitress how they were prepared and tonight I did my best to replicate the recipe at home.

I'm going to share it with all of you because I think you'll really enjoy it.

• • • • • • • • • • • • •

The Recipe

I took one bag of Brussels Sprouts and trimmed the bottoms and removed the outer leaves.

I rinsed and drained them then tossed them in grapeseed oil, placed them in a stainless steel baking pan and popped them in a preheated oven at 400ยบ

I baked them for 15 minutes then removed them and added some salted butter, a bit of sea salt and black pepper. I tossed them back and forth in the pan until the butter melted and popped them back in the oven for 20 more minutes.

After removing them I sprinkled them with White Truffle Oil, tossed them and returned them to the oven for another minute. Note I did not buy pure truffle oil but rather the olive oil infused with truffle aroma.

This is what they looked like when I took them out of the oven.

I plated them and sprinkled them with a tiny bit of salt and grated Reggiano Parmesan cheese. Next time I'm going to try Pecorino Romano cheese.

I put the plate back in the oven for another minute just long enough for the cheese to melt.

I have to say I was pretty wowed at how great they came out for a first attempt.

The only other things I'll do differently next time would be to cut the sprouts in half before beginning. That way the flavors will soak through the layers of leaves. And instead of grating the cheese large like I did tonight I'll grate it fine into a powder. My new hubby doesn't have the most sophisticated cooking tools, but I do at my place. I just need to move them over.

Try them. Oh my gosh you'll love them! And be sure to go eat at Firefly. It's a gem.

0 Click Here to Comment: