HOME

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Who on tv.......


If anyone were to ask me who on tv am I most similar to I think most people would expect me to say Sandra Oh because before my hair got really long I was mistaken for and told I look like her on a fairly regular basis. I even did a blog post about this phenomenon. So while some may think I look like Sandra on the outside, on the inside? My long lost twin would be Duff Goldman from the hit show "Ace of Cakes" on the Food Network.

What makes Duff and I similar? Other then that we both have cartoon images of ourselves online? Without a doubt it's his "Can-do just tell me what you want and I'll figure out a way to make it" attitude.

The Food Network describes Ace of Cakes this way:

"About the Show
By shaping cakes with drill saws and blow torches and staffing his bakery with fellow rock musicians, Duff Goldman is not your typical baker. Yet he's one of the most sought after cake makers in the country. From a tilted Dr. Seuss-like-seven-tiered-wedding cake to an almost perfect replica of Wrigley Field, he and his team of artists dish up sugar and spice in the most unexpected and entertaining ways"

My pal Aramndo first told me about the show and Duff's remarkable cakes, followed by my girlfriend Christina a few days later. I finally recorded a few episodes on the ol' Tivo and couldn't help but gasp "My People" when I saw the way Duff and his staff took on every order, some traditional, others whimsical some downright bizarre and could only think to myself his bakery, Charm City Cakes, is the closest business I've ever seen to my own The Flirty Bride custom design studio.

Over the years I've had some unusual requests. Many of these clients came to me after being turned away by multiple designers and seamstresses. But like Charm City Cakes I love a good challenge and immediately begin seeing in my mind how to make a clients vision become a reality.

Oh and when it comes to really off the wall designs? I think some of my most creative ideas come forth each October when I make my dog his couture Halloween costumes to go trick-or-treating in.

0 Click Here to Comment: