HOME

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Parking Rates in San Francisco

When I go up to SF the price of parking is often, quite frankly, obscene.

There are several garages where the parking rates can be as high as $20+ per hour and street meters are 25¢ for 5 minutes. Mmmm hmmm think about that. That means to park on the street for 2 hours would take 24 quarters. Seriously, who carries 24 quarters around with them?

So especially if you don't go to the city often or if you're a tourist visiting SF for the first time do NOT make the rookie mistake of parking in a garage or lot without first verify the cost per minute. If you see $5 don't assume it means per hour. It may very likely be for each 15 minutes. You may have to walk a few blocks to find more affordable parking but there are places like the 5th and Mission and Sutter-Stockton parking garages where the rates are much more reasonable.

So today's big score... This was no joke. I actually saw this sign in a "long term" parking lot in a downtown shopping district here in Northern California. I swear I read the sign 3 times to be certain I was reading it correctly.

When it sunk in the rate was 10 hours for a dollar I felt giddy. And parked there. Want to know where this dream lot is? OK, I'll tell you. It's not in San Francisco. It's in Burlingame right off of Howard Ave. behind the Unique Bride bridal salon between Primrose and Park Road. Sure there are parking meters everywhere in Burlingame and even a lot of 2 hour free parking spaces but there are also a lot of meter patrol people so if you're going to be there for more than 2 hours the long term lot may just save you a ticket :)

1 Click Here to Comment:

Events by Evonne said...

I love the Sutter/Stockton garage! But wow, I will remember this $1 for 10 hours lot the next time we visit my mother-in-law in Burlingame. Usually we just park at her house and walk to downtown Burlingame. But if we ever have to drive there, that's good to know. Thanks, Stacie!