HOME

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Reading: The E Myth, The Speed of Trust and Salty Sweets

I love to read. I always have ever since I was a little kid. In elementary school I was a voracious reader taking home several books at at time. The past few years I've had precious little time to read books at all. I do read on my computer morning noon and night but there's something about holding a book and turning the pages that I enjoy so much it's doubtful I will ever own a Kindle or similar device.

This year I'm happy to say I've made the time to read a few books about entrepreneurship. My colleague Jewel Savadelis had recommended The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell to me years ago. I even bought it years ago and started reading it last year but didn't finish it until this year. This year I've also read The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki and most recently finished The E Myth Revisited.


I can't tell you how important I think it is for anyone who is self employed to continue learning about how to be an effective entrepreneur. Even if your business is great now, as technology evolves it's important to stay on the cutting edge of information. If your business is struggling it's especially important to learn more about entrepreneurship so that you can modify your business model and find solutions to your existing issues or problems. Now I'm about to start reading this book...



Wedding Pro Andy Ebon had recommended it on his Facebook wall a few months back so I ordered it. Next on my list to purchase is Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi. Leslie Wong recommended it to me when I met her at Nancy Liu Chin's cocktail party the night before the Wedding Floral Academy kicked off.

And now onto something fun... Today I popped into Barnes and Noble and found this book... Salty Sweets. Can you say yummmmmmmm? The first recipe I'm going to try is for sweet and salty peanut butter cookies. The recipe description promises a rich and peanutty flavor which sounds great to me!

I also want to try making these salted caramels. I buy something similar every now and then from Miette up in San Francisco but if I'm not planning on being in the city that's a long drive just to buy some caramels. I'm hoping I love these so much that I prefer them to the Miette caramels and can whip them up whenever I'm in the mood. I'll let you know how it goes once I make them.

And last but not least is a recipe for salted caramel ice cream. Summertime here we come!

2 Click Here to Comment:

Leslie - Wedding Noise said...

Stacie,
I've heard "The Tipping Point" was an amazing read for understanding the new social world. It's crazy to think of how quickly Facebook knocked down Myspace in only a matter of months. After reading this blog entry I'm going to break down and read it as part of New Years resolution.

"Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years. That is what makes a marriage last"

Lisa said...

those salty caramels look delish!