HOME

Monday, May 17, 2010

Join the ACS Cancer Prevention Study-3

The purpose of the American Cancer Society's, Cancer Prevention Study-3 (CPS-3) is to better understand the lifestyle, behavioral, environmental and genetic factors that cause or prevent cancer and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a major health problem for this and future generations.

I joined the CPS-3 this past weekend at the Willow Glen Relay for Life event. I'd first heard about it a few months ago, visited the CPS-3 website and learned when the sign-up period would be in my local area. Turns out I had to wait two months for the opportunity to join so I put it in my calendar and waited.

The study is by the ACS’s Epidemiology Research Program. To participate in this historic research study men and women must be between the ages of 30 and 65 years and have no personal history of cancer. The ultimate goal is to enroll 500,000 adults, in the next 5 years, from various racial/ethnic backgrounds from across the U.S.

After the initial enrollment I will now participate in surveys every 2 years about my health for at least 20 years. Cool. Happy to help out.

I can report the tent had a steady stream of people signing up for the study. All that was needed was to fill in a registration form (that took about 15-20 minutes), had my waist measured (that took a minute) and give a few small vials of blood samples. Nothing major, it wasn't like donating blood, it only took another minute.

CLICK HERE to visit the CPS-3 website to learn if there will be an enrollment opportunity in your city.

Here were some of the Relay for Life team members walking the track at the High School. Relay for Life is a fundraising event that benefits the American Cancer Society's research, education, patient services, advocacy, and rehabilitation programs. If you would like to make a donation to help raise funds for the ACS and don't personally know anyone on a Relay for Life team this is the team that I am supporting: CLICK HERE.

The team is comprised of High School kids in New Jersey, which I love. I mean you always read in the news about all of the things kids in this country do wrong. Well, here are some kids who are doing something right. In fact they're doing something great! If you feel the urge to support their efforts you can make a donation online. Even a dollar will help them to reach their team goal of $2500.

0 Click Here to Comment: