HOME

Friday, December 31, 2010

How to Make Vegetarian Ozoni Soup

It's a Japanese tradition to make ozoni (aka mochi soup) on New Year's Day. Last year I made it after a friend posted a link to a recipe on Facebook. I'd forgotten all about it but got really excited and drove around town to find all of the necessary ingredients. I wanted to repost the recipe today so that if you want to make ozoni on New Year's Day you can go shopping today while more stores are open.
CLICK HERE for my recipe and the step-by-step photo tutorial I created last New Year's Day. The page has been receiving a ton of traffic in the past two weeks as people prepare for the holiday.

This year I'll be making a vegetarian ozoni. Come to think of it, it will be vegan ozoni. It'll be easy. I'll leave out the chicken and fish cake and will use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Along with the mochi I'll still add carrot, napa cabbage and lotus and may add in another vegetable or two like boiled sweet potato and maybe green beans. I'll post next week and let you know how it turned out.

0 Click Here to Comment: