HOME

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The End of an Era and a New Beginning for Apple Inc.

Since around 4:00 pm yesterday the resignation of Steve Jobs' has been headline news. Particularly here in Silicon Valley where I live. Of course his resignation is news because his career path has been as public as it is inspiring. That he is staying on as Chairman of the Board and has spent many years developing a trusted and capable team to carry on the company makes me feel assured that there is little to fear in Apple Inc.'s future.

As a Mac fangirl I have to say that while I was sad to hear he's resigning I'm more sad if it means his resignation comes because his health is failing. I truly hope this isn't the case but his words "... I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s C.E.O., I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come. ...” have led most to speculate it is a serious health issue that has precipated his resignation.

If it is a health issue I hope he once again overcomes whatever challenge he is facing quickly and completely so that he can either spend more time with his family and friends enjoying each day doing the things he loves most or one day returning to the helm of Apple Inc. Or heck, why not both?


I took this photo three days ago and by chance went to Wikipedia this morning to see if it would say what religion Mr. Jobs practices. I don't know why but even as I typed his name into Google something told me Wiki would say Buddhism, and it did. It feels fitting to include this peaceful and serene image in this post as I say to Mr. Jobs I hope you enjoy both happiness and good health in your future.



ETA on 8/26/11: IMO this is the best article "Steve Jobs' Apple resignation offers a chance to reflect" I've read about Steve Jobs' resignation. It points out that whatever his accomplishments Steve Jobs is first and foremost a human being. When reading many stories the past few days his accomplishments seem to have (for many) eclipsed his humanity and the comments that equate his resignation to his death make me sad for his family and friends who know and love him. Undoubtedly his contributions to the world of technology have been great, but they are not all that he is.

0 Click Here to Comment: