HOME

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Sweet Squash

Last week our kitty Squash stopped eating. A trip to the vet and a second trip for an ultrasound confirmed that he is suffering from advanced pancreatic cancer that has metastasized. Just like that. He may only have days or weeks left.


Nineteen years is a good run for any cat I'd imagine but of course I wish he'd have made it a few more years.

For now he's eating on his own, receiving IV fluids at home for 10 minutes a day to keep him from becoming dehydrated, and because he's still using his litter box and purring like crazy when anyone pets him his quality of life was still good today. When that changes we'll have to let him go. Tonight my heart feels like it's breaking into tiny little pieces.

I realized I've never taken a picture with Squash (only pictures of him) so we posed for a selfie tonight, our first and last.

There are a million things I should have done this evening but all I could bring myself to do after bringing him home from the Vet was to sit beside him on the floor with a box of Kleenex, petting his little grey head to keep him purring, and telling him how much I love him and how much I'm going to miss him when he's gone.



My final goodbye:

Goodbye Squash - January 4, 2014

0 Click Here to Comment: