HOME

Monday, July 16, 2012

Baby Hummingbirds Day 18: Lots of feathers both old and new

Baby, Hummingbird, Chicks

That's Itty on the left and Bitty on the right. And I think those are those long stringy feathers that were growing off their backs from the day they first hatched.


Remember what they looked like just 14 days ago when they were four days old?

Hummingbird, Chicks, Nest

I took these pictures at almost 6:00 PM tonight so they were settled in for the evening. They  opened their eyes just long enough to give me a peek. Look at those long wing feathers! Ah those little shoe button eyes and pointy beaks just get me every time I look at them.

Baby, Hummingbird, Tail, Feathers

And their tails are just oh so cute. Here you can also really see the disparity between how much larger than Bitty Itty is. Itty's tail feathers are much longer and more developed. Or, perhaps Itty is a boy and Bitty is a girl and that's why they're different sizes. Either way, I really love how their beaks are silhouetted in the haze of the blurring that occurs when you shoot with a macro lens.

I'll be shooting them very early in the morning tomorrow so we'll see if they're more awake or perhaps, even more sleepy than they were tonight :)

To view all of the baby hummingbird photos and videos just CLICK HERE

0 Click Here to Comment: