HOME

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

How to Make Smashed Potato Salmon Hash


Years ago when I gave up eating beef one of the only foods I've missed is corned beef hash. WIth an over-medium egg on top it used to be one of my favorite breakfast, lunch or dinner meals. When I started eating wild (and preferably line) caught Alaskan or Pacific Salmon at the beginning of June, due to dietary deficiencies I was suffering from, I realized I could have hash once again. Salmon hash!


I begin by peeling, quartering then boiling a Yukon Gold or German Butterball potato. Once the potato is almost cooked all the way, I can slide a fork into it with just a bit of pressure. I pour out the water, leaving the potatoes in the pot I boiled them in, then use my potato masher to squash the chunks flat. Just one time. I don't actually mash them.

A boiled then smashed German Butterball potato.

From there I heat a small amount of grape seed oil or butter in my new cast iron frying pan over medium heat. Once the oil is heated I toss in the smashed potatoes.


If they're a little on the undercooked side I'll cover them with a lid for a minute or so while they brown. I like them just a tiny bit undercooked because the potatoes retain a more earthy flavor, rather than the more neutral flavor when they're fully cooked. When the first side is nicely browned I flip them over with a spatula browning the other side too.

Option 1: Canned Alaskan Pink Salmon

Canned Salmon, Hash
With Canned Alaskan Salmon

When the potatoes are done I toss in the salmon. Here I used a wild caught, Alaskan pink salmon from Trader Joe's. It comes with the skin and bones (cooked soft), both of which are edible and nutritious.

I break it up and let it fry just a bit. It heats up very quickly. I'll flip it over and mix it around very gently. At this point the aroma becomes one of pan fried trout. Just like mom used to make when I was a kid :)

Mix together and you're done. I don't even add any salt because the salmon has plenty of salt flavor. A little freshly ground black pepper is all that's needed.

Option 2: Baked, Frozen Alaskan Salmon

Frozen Salmon, Hash
With Frozen Alaskan Salmon

Or use a fresh or frozen salmon fillet. For a single size serving you can place the fish in a toaster oven after sprinkling it with salt and pepper. Bake at 350ยบ for approximately 7-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and cut into small pieces, toss with fried potatoes and serve.

It's incredibly easy to make and definitely fills my long vacant corned beef hash void.

And my health since beginning to eat fish again? Before I was suffering from severe fatigue often 3-5 days a week. Now, I haven't suffered a single day of fatigue since June 4th. I'm not sure if it was the omega fatty acids, the additional iron, both, or something else but it's definitely made a difference. I'm not 100% back to normal yet but I'm hopeful I will be soon. I will continue to work on trying to find a more vegetarian balance but for now, I'm just relieved to finally be feeling better.

0 Click Here to Comment: