HOME

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Summer flavors are on the menu at LYFE Kitchen

The new seasonal menu at LYFE Kitchen has launched and there are several dishes I want to try. A few I had at the spring menu preview event. Others, I'd only read about:

• Sweet Corn Ravioli
• Risotto Peas & Carrots
• Roasted Loch Duart Salmon
• Tomato-corn Panzanella Salad
• Sweet Pea & Broccolini Flatbread
• Beet & Forbidden Rice Salad
• Kale-banana Smoothie


I had the Sweet Corn Ravioli with cherry tomatoes, peas, scallions, garlic and basil ($10.99).
With only 425 calories and 487 mg sodium this is one healthy meal. It's also one of the best dishes I've had yet at LYFE Kitchen.

I also brought my friend and hair stylist Armando Sarabia to LYFE Kitchen for his very first visit. When we arrived after 8:00 PM the place was so busy we had to grab seats at the community table. That made me really happy to see the restaurant thriving. And it's no wonder, their food has only improved over time. Armando LOVED it. He tried Chef Tal Ronnen's Ancient Grain Bowl with Gardein Beefless Tips and ate every last morsel. A new fan for LYFE :)


The large, round raviolis are filled with sweet corn. Yum! To be honest I'm tire and bored with the butternut squash raviolis that are on most menus. Not that they're bad, I'm just tired of them. Corn filled raviolis are definitely more unique.

After the fourth or fifth time saying to hubby (in the restaurant and in the car on the way home) "That was a really fantastic meal," he actually asked me how many more times was I going to say that? LOL. But I couldn't stop thinking about how much I enjoyed my dinner.


It was as if I could feel the nutrients entering my body. The veggies are always fresh and bright, never soggy, washed out, or over cooked.


I also had the Kale-banana Smoothie ($4.49). I was able to try a small sample at the Spring tasting event and had looked forward to coming back and having a full sized glass. With only
207 calories and 50 mg of sodium it's a nutritious drink that while more expensive than a soda, is similar in price to a large, fresh squeezed orange juice and so nutrient dense I will order it every time it's on the menu from now on. Kale is loaded with vitamins K, A, and C.


After finishing our dinners Aramando was so intrigued with the food and menu we ordered the Edamame Hummus with Veggies & Flax Crackers ($5.99).


 I've always loved it and Armando did too. We ate the whole thing.


Just walk in, place your order at the counter, grab your flatware, a napkin and water (located just around the front counter to your right), and a server will bring your food to you using these table top GPS locators!


In closing I wanted to share with you that LYFE Kitchen recently had an incredible write up in WIRED magazine. You can pick up a hard copy of the magazine or read the story online. The opening paragraphs sum up a lot of what I love most about this restaurant:

"At Lyfe Kitchen (the name is an acronym for Love Your Food Everyday), all the cookies shall be dairy-free, all the beef from grass-fed, humanely raised cows. At Lyfe Kitchen there shall be no butter, no cream, no white sugar, no white flour, no high-fructose corn syrup, no GMOs, no trans fats, no additives, and no need for alarm: There will still be plenty of burgers, not to mention manifold kegs of organic beer and carafes of biodynamic wine. None of this would seem surprising if we were talking about one or 10 or even 20 outposts nationwide. But Lyfe’s ambition is to open hundreds of restaurants around the country, in the span of just five years.

Yes, for the moment the only Lyfe Kitchen is here on Hamilton Avenue in Palo Alto. It opened less than a year ago as a sort of prototype. But imagine tens of millions of local, sustainable gourmet meals, served with the efficiency and economy that one expects from a national fast-food chain. Such a feat of feeding has never before been attempted, and if Lyfe Kitchen succeeds, the results will reverberate far beyond our stomachs."

Recently, LYFE Kitchen announced the location of their second restaurant: Culver City, CA. So Southern California will be the lucky recipient of their very own LYFE Kitchen restaurant. Congrats to them!



Here's how to get there:

LYFE Kitchen Restaurant - website
167 N. Hamilton, Palo Alto, CA
650-325-5933


View Larger Map

0 Click Here to Comment: