HOME

Monday, April 1, 2013

How to make oven roasted root vegetables

I'd been seeing pictures and recipes about how to make oven roasted vegetables for months on Pinterest but it took the carrots at San Francisco's Credo restaurant to finally inspire me to try making some at home. I used this recipe from Martha Stewart but modified it a bit.


1. A trip to the Farmers Market yesterday morning was followed by additional errands so I brought  along a cooler with blue ice covered with a dish towel to keep the veggies in so they wouldn't warm up and wilt in the trunk of the car.

2. Remove the tops and roots then scrub clean with a vegetable brush.

3. Chop them into smaller pieces, I left the skins on, and cut them into bite sized chunks keeping each veggie separated in individual bowls.


4. I took a larger bowl and added 1/4 cup of olive oil to it. I moved each batch of veggies into the bowl of oil, tossed them around a bit, then removed them back into their original bowl with a slotted spoon. I then added some coarse salt and coarsely ground pepper to each bowl and tossed.

5. Smart Tip by Martha Stewart: When you add your vegetables to a baking sheet (I used parchment on mine) don't mix them all together. Some may need to roast longer than others. If you lay them out in groups you can easily remove the faster cooking vegetables and leave those that need more time in the oven longer.


6. Into the pre-heated 400ยบ oven they went.


7. The rutabagas and beets were done in 20 minutes. I left them in until they began to caramelize a bit and were fork tender.


The carrots took 10 minutes longer for a grand total of 30 minutes.


The finished veggies were delicious! I ate a plate of them when they were done then divided two more portions into small containers and threw them in the freezer for later meals. I'm thinking they'll be great to add to a bowl of lentil soup or with a batch of the crock pot beef cheeks.

Next time I may try adding browned butter, a dash of balsamic vinegar, or some fresh thyme. They weren't as delicious as the carrots at Credo, but they were a very respectable first attempt.

0 Click Here to Comment: