HOME

Monday, April 29, 2013

Trailer Update: The entry door

What's that on the back of my trailer? A door! And a door handle and deadbolt lock! And not just any old door lock. This is one spot where I decided to upgrade and go with a more modern option. Some online research and I found the  keyless RV Lock by The Mobile Outfitters. It includes a remote fob that will allow me to open the door as I approach it. I'm thinking that may come in handy at night once it's dark out. No need to fiddle with keys or a flashlight.

Purchased at Dyers RV Parts and Accessories, at 7x the cost of a standard door lock it was expensive but since it's one of my main lines of security it made sense to spend more to be more safe from break ins.


You'll also notice a peep hole in the upper center of the door. Though Fred encouraged me to add a window to the door I was reluctant to for two reasons:

1. I didn't want to feel like I'm in a fishbowl when I'm in the trailer. With windows large enough for emergency egress on both sides I felt a third window would be too much.

2. Not having a window within easy reach of the door lock may make my trailer less attractive to a thief who wants to break in and steal my stuff. No popping out a small window, reaching in and unlocking the door from the inside.


Fred needed to add an extra metal plate to thicken the door just a bit to properly fit the handle and lock. It's also good because it will give the handle area some extra support.


The interior of the cabin. At the moment you can see through the tongue box on the other end.


Interior door handle view.


And the door hinge.

As Fred said "Closing in on it. A few more details to finish this week."

Soon, very soon. Eeeeeeeeek. I can hardly wait.



To follow the entire build thread from beginning to end just click on the "Trailer - Build" category on the side bar or CLICK HERE.

To view all of my trailer gear and decorating posts CLICK HERE.

0 Click Here to Comment: