HOME

Monday, September 28, 2009

Women's Initiative 2009 Woman-Owned Business Winners

Wow! To say I was stunned when I found out that I am one of the Women's Initiatives' Silicon Valley award recipients would be an understatement. I knew I'd been nominated but after receiving notification of my nomination I didn't publicize it or ask anyone to vote for me. So I didn't think I had a chance.

You might be wondering exactly what is the Women's Initiative for Self Employment. It's a Bay Area non-profit that provides high-potential, lower-income women the training, resources and on-going support they need to start or improve their own companies. Their goal is: "To build the entrepreneurial capacity of women to overcome economic and social barriers and achieve self-sufficiency."

The following is their description of the criteria winners were selected from:
"Throughout the Bay Area, women business leaders are making a real difference in their communities – mentoring others, leading by example, innovating within their industries and stimulating the local economy. At Women’s Initiative, we celebrate all women in business, and have created an award to showcase those who are going above and beyond."
Other Silicon Valley wedding industry nominees included Christine Morrissey of National Gown Cleaners who was one of my first mentors when I started my bridal accessory company 12 years ago. Also nominated were event designer Nicole Lisanne, wedding consultant Liz Guthrie and Natti Pierce-Thomson owner of North American Theatre Technology, an event lighting company. All are women I have had the pleasure of working with at one time or another over the years. All are standouts and it is always an honor to be held in the same group with any and all of them for any reason or occasion.

I wish I had known about the Women's Initiative back in 1997 when I basically stumbled into my first company, making plenty of mistakes along the way. I could have been a poster girl for their "high-potential, lower-income" criteria. I'm certain they could have helped me to become a better business person. They offer business management training, technical assistance, and financial services in both English and Spanish.

If you have a dream of being self employed this may be just the right starting point for you to create your own career.

CLICK HERE to learn more about the Women's Initiative in English

CLICK HERE to learn more about the Women's Initiative in EspaƱol

12 Click Here to Comment:

Rhee said...

That's wonderful! Congrats, Stacie!

Liz Guthrie said...

You are a super business woman! I love to chat with you about ways to improve my own business, and I love that you genuinely CARE about other people's success! CONGRATULATIONS Stacie! This is really something to be proud of :)

Robbie Schlosser said...

Congratulations, Stacie. What an honor! To be recognized for your absolutely outstanding contribution, in this field where, as Garrison Keillor says, ALL the kids are above average. Sure, everyone deserves it, but you got it!

Rich Amooi said...

Yahoooo! You rock Stacie! Congratulations.

Gabrielle Feuersinger, Owner of Cake Coquette said...

Stacie,
That is so fantastic, congratulations. You so deserve it...you are an inspiration to all of us!

Tinygami said...

Thank you so much Rhee, Liz, Robbie, RIch and Gabrielle! The recognition is so special and is already inspiring me to try even harder going forward :D

Unknown said...

Congratulations! You deserve it.

Events by Evonne said...

Congrats, Stacie. You so deserved it! :)

Tinygami said...

Thank you Crystal and Evonne *Hugs*

Rich Amooi said...

Yahoooo! You rock Stacie! Congratulations.

Liz Guthrie said...

You are a super business woman! I love to chat with you about ways to improve my own business, and I love that you genuinely CARE about other people's success! CONGRATULATIONS Stacie! This is really something to be proud of :)

Events by Evonne said...

Congrats, Stacie. You so deserved it! :)