HOME

Saturday, March 19, 2011

A New Trend? Multiple Parking Options in Santa Cruz, California

I was recently at a grocery store here in Northern California and couldn't help but notice that rather than the standard three parking options I usually see, this particular lot had five:
regular-parking-spot
There was the Classic anyone-can-park-here kind of space...

handicapped-parking-spot
We all recognize a Handicapped spot...

compact-car-parking-spot
And narrow slots for Compact cars...

But there were two more options that caught my eye.

electric-hybrid-car-parking-spot
The Low Emission option I'm assuming for electric and hybrid vehicles...

carpool-parking-spot
And this was the first time I've ever seen Carpool Only spaces.

I wonder if these are signs of things to come? I didn't notice any parking police counting carpool occupants or checking makes and models for low emissions so I think their concept is based on the honor system. But I found it kind of cool a store is so actively promoting eco-consciousness and a little amusing that there were so many choices that I couldn't help but take a few pictures to share with you here on The Blog.

Before I saw this lot the only other time I've ever felt amused in a parking lot, so much so I laughed out loud, was when I saw this sign in a lot in Burlingame, California. Keep in mind that just down the highway in San Francisco it costs 25¢ for 6 or 7 minutes at parking meters and it's not at all uncommon to be paying between $2.50 to $6.00 (or more) for every 20 minutes in a parking garage... But in Burlingame you have this option:

great-parking

OK, so you can't get change. But at 10¢ per hour, I can live with that! Even if I only had a $5 bill it would be worth it to overpay than try my luck at the heavily patrolled parking meters.

Perhaps I'm too easily amused but I think you have to allow yourself to be amused whenever and wherever the opportunity presents itself. Laughing is good :D

0 Click Here to Comment: