HOME

Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Wedding Cake Tasting at Susiecakes Bakery, San Francisco

When I was invited to come for a wedding cake tasting (the same tasting offered to all brides and grooms) at Susiecakes Bakery, located on Chestnut Street in San Francisco's Cow Hollow/Marina District, I didn't have to think twice about whether or not I wanted to accept the invitation.
susiecakes-wedding-cake-tasting
I mean, someone has to taste all of that cake to help engaged, local couples planning their weddings learn who makes great cake. Right? So why shouldn't that someone be me?

susiecakes-wedding-cakes-website
While their website has a Wedding Cake page you really need to visit the bakery itself to look through the photo album that has pictures of many of the custom cakes they've made for Bay Area brides and grooms.

susiecakes-storefront-cow-hollow-sf
The shop was easy to spot. Clearly marked with a very cute "Susiecakes" neon sign.

susiecakes-chestnut-street-san-francisco
As I stepped inside the staff greeted me cheerily. Literally. My foot had crossed the threshold but I'm not sure if had touched the floor when two people behind the counter welcomed me in. I loved that. I love when people make me feel welcomed as soon as I walk through their door. Having worked in retail sales myself for a decade I know how little effort it takes to do so, and am often surprised at how few companies bother to make the effort these days.

Once inside I felt excited and serene. Something about a full, lit patisserie case always makes me feel a little giddy and very happy. Maybe you feel the same way looking at this picture? Be sure to notice the layered cakes on the top of the counter. You can purchase them by the slice. A closeup of the  chocolate layer cake is coming soon...

I perused the case and made a few purchases before telling them I was there for a scheduled cake tasting.

susiecakes-cupcake-wedding-tasting
I met with Riley, the shop's Assistant Manager. She quickly stepped back into the kitchen and brought out this plate of cupcakes and buttercream frosting samples. This is exactly how they present their cake and frosting samples to brides and grooms who schedule a tasting.

I tried so many things that day...

Three kinds of cake: Chocolate, Red Velvet and Vanilla

All three were really good. By good I mean moist, flavorful and held together well. And I'm picky when it comes to cake. I hate when a cake looks prettier than it tastes good. In my opinion it's not an either or endeavor: Wedding cakes, actually make that every cake, should look beautiful and taste great!

Nine kinds of frosting: Mocha, Peanut Butter, Mint, Chocolate, Cream Cheese, Vanilla, Strawberry, Lemon and Coconut

I really enjoyed the lemon, strawberry, chocolate and mocha flavors. The cream cheese was divine! In fact the next morning when I opened the box with the left overs from my tasting, the red velvet/cream cheese was the one I ate first. The other frostings (PB, Mint, Vanilla, and Coconut) tasted good but were a bit too sweet for me.

Certain flavors of frosting are recommended with particular flavors of cake. For instance the chocolate cake is best complemented by the chocolate, mocha and mint frostings. While the vanilla cake pairs best with the lemon, strawberry and coconut buttercreams. The red velvet only pairs with the cream cheese frosting.

Decorated Cakes: All wedding cakes are frosted with buttercream. Cake designs they've created in the past range from matching the cake to the wedding invitation design to once creating a tiered wedding cake decorated with mini-sugar cookies (all the way around the sides of the cake) because the groom loved sugar cookies. So cute!

Lead Time: Lead times range from a minimum of 3 days for simple cakes and 7 days or more for intricate designs. Of course it's always better to give any company as much lead time as possible but nice to know that in a pinch Susiecakes can create a custom design for you. They also have many frosted cakes already made (in the display case) that they can add additional last minute details or writing to for you.

susiecakes-wedding-cookie-tasting-tray
And then I had to taste all of these cookies! Susiecakes also offers a Miniature Desert Bar option for your wedding reception. These would also be a nice treat to bring out later during the reception when guests have been dancing for a while and might need a little pick-me-up.

susiecakes-lemon-bar-cookie
There was a Mini Lemon Square, Chocolate Chip Cookie, Mini Brownie, Mini 7 Layer Bar and a Mini Chocolate Whoopie Pie.

susiecakes-wedding-cookie-reception-dessert-buffet
I only had a bite of each... 

For the tasting they simply cut the whoopie pie and chocolate chip cookie into quarters. For your wedding day, party or event they make miniature versions so they wouldn't be cut as you see them here.

susiecakes-pastry-counter-chestnut-st-sf
Cutie Pies with their cupcakes.

susiecakes-chocolate-layer-cake-san-francisco
Here's that close up of the chocolate layer cake I promised you...

susiecakes-razzleberry-pie-5-inch
And here's what I purchased before the tasting began... A 5" Razzleberry Pie ($8.95)

OMP. Oh My Pie. This pie was really good. To be honest I'm not exactly sure what was in it. The name leads me to believe there were raspberries, and I definitely recognized cherries. I ate it 3 times over the next two days and then it was all gone. Did I already say it was really good? Turns out our cat loved it too. (He stole some when I wasn't looking.)

peanut-butter-sandwich-cookie-susiecakes-sf
And a yummy Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie ($4.00) that took me two sittings to finish.

susiecakes-dog-treats-san-francisco
As if Susiecakes hadn't already won me over, I noticed on the way out that not only do they keep a water bowl out front for doggies, they even have a cookie jar of dog treats for anyone to take a treat for their pup. VERY COOL. I've seen a lot of water dishes all over the Bay Area but this was the first time I'd ever seen a canine cookie jar!

susiecakes-storefront-sign-san-francisco-marina
Their sandwich board sign in front of the shop will help you to spot it as you meander down the sidewalk. Also good to know: They always offer special holiday cakes and cookies. The day I was there the sign listed a lot of their Irish and St. Patrick's Day treats.

susiecakes-holiday-baked-goods-st-patricks
Speaking of which, Happy St. Patrick's Day!

There are several locations throughout California but if you go looking for Susiecakes in San Franciso's Marina District you'll find them on the South side of Chestnut Street between Steiner and Pierce.

My thanks to Michele (the Bakery Manager) for the invitation and to Riley (the Assistant Manager) who fed, educated and entertained me that day. I'm certain the pleasure was all mine!

1 Click Here to Comment:

Magnolia said...

This is so yummy. Thank you very much for sharing!