HOME

Friday, May 4, 2012

Omnivore Books on Food, Noe Valley, San Francisco


I first heard of Omnivore Books over a year ago but until last weekend I hadn't ever made the time to visit this bookshop filled to the brim with new and vintage books about food.


Finally I was able to visit and take a peek inside as the SF Food Blogger Bake Sale was held at the corner of the block the bookstore is located on. Technically, they sponsored the space for the fundraiser. I was thrilled when I learned just outside the store was the drop off point for the baked goods.

So I took my cookies to the bake sale, stayed to shoot a bunch of pictures, then sauntered on down the block for my first peek at this culinary book store I'd been so looking forward to visiting.


It was smaller than I thought it would be but much cuter. The shop is a single room, well lit and filled with shelves which are in turn, filled with books. The woman working that day couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. It definitely made me reminisce for the days when more independent book shops, and shops in general, could be found tucked away in quaint neighborhoods instead of all of the big box stores and mega malls that proliferate the retail landscape in most cities.


I have to say I had a really fun time perusing the shelves. Always wanting to support local small businesses, I'd already decided I would purchase a book while I was there. The only question was which one?


I found several I'd like to have and then I spotted Ripe.


Does it look or sound familiar? It did to me because I'd just seen the author the day before at the LYFE Kitchen spring/summer tasting event in Palo Alto.


My initial impressions as I thumbed through the book were that these are very healthy looking recipes that are uncomplicated and definitely things I'd want to make and eat.

It's a fruit and vegetable cookbook so no meat recipes are included but meat eaters will find sumptuous side dishes and vegetarians will see many no meat meal opportunities amongst the colorful pages of Ripe. Even though it's produce-centric, the book doesn't focus on health or nutrition. It's truly a celebration of colors and flavors.


One feature that makes the book very different than most cookbooks is that the dishes are divided not by season or ingredients but by color! Yes, color :D And the photography by Paulette Philpot is quite stunning. The book is as much a feast for the eyes as the recipes will be for my stomach.


To visit Omnivore Books or pick up a copy of Ripe here's all you need to know:

Omnivore Books on Food - website
3885a Cesar Chavez Street
(at Church Street)
San Francisco, CA 94131

info@omnivorebooks.com
415.282.4712

Hours as of May 2012
Mon-Sat 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sun 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Ripe - website
Purchase it at Omnivore Books, at other bookstores in the U.S. and Canada or online

0 Click Here to Comment: