HOME

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Tinygami is coming to Home 2 Home in Greenville, MI

I've often said my creative-process is that I see pictures in my head. For instance when I think of something I'd like to create I can see the finished whatever in my head and can, for reasons I can't explain, see how to construct it to reach the end result. The other day it happened with this display case...


I'd been doing a ton of research on Pinterest about how to create the booth for the Made in Michigan Pop-up Markets I signed up for in May and July. Knowing me I'd wait until mid-May to finally put everything together. The things I wanted most were:
  1. Portability: I need to be able to lift and move all of the display fixtures myself.
  2. Wind resistance: It can get VERY windy in MI. So I want to create a booth that has the option of placing glass doors or some type of see-through barrier around my items just in case I need to.
  3. The option to lock it if needed.
  4. Cute: It has to be cute! And fun, and beautiful, and elegant. That's all :)
And just like that I stumbled upon the perfect one at Kaleidoscope of Times (a local antique mall). It's a mere 9.5"(d)x 24"(w)x48"(h). It's an old rifle/gun display case that had already been converted into a more generic display case. As soon as I saw it I knew I could remove the top two shelves and replace them with glass shelves. I could see it in my head. And it came with two sliding glass doors! Hopefully it will turn out something close to the illustration above.

The drawer at the bottom will come in handy on windy days because I can put bricks in there to help weigh it down as well as come up with some type of additional support system so that it won't ever blow over.


But guess what? It turns out I'll be using it even before the May Pop-up Marketplace! I was perusing Facebook and saw this post by a brand new store opening in Downtown Greenville, MI next Wednesday. I dropped by the next day even though they aren't officially opened and guess who's renting a Tinygami sized bit of space at Home 2 Home? Yup, ME!

So this little display case along with the table I use each year at ArtPrize will be the official retail launch of my business in Greenville. I have to have it ready to set up there by Tuesday so I've been busy. Since purchasing the case two days ago I have:
  • Purchased metal tracks and shelf pegs so the shelving can be adjustable
  • Cut the metal tracks to length
  • Removed the wood shelving. I did repair the bottom shelf as the trim was falling off and it was quite uneven in places so I sanded and sanded until I'd leveled everything off.
  • Filled all of the nail holes and the routing along the inside where the rifle stock rest/divider used to be.
  • Ordered 5 glass shelves.
  • Looked for new drawer pulls but didn't find any that I liked that fit the existing holes.
  • Sanded everything with 60 grit sandpaper along with the tips of my fingers :(
  • Located a locksmith that sells a ratchet keyed lock that fits to the glass display case doors.
  • Sanded everything with 150 grit sandpaper wearing gloves so my fingers are better :) But then I accidentally dropped two big clamps on my head (don't ask) so was still a bit worse for the wear today.
  • Nailed the bottom wood shelf back to the bottom of the case to hide the indentations where the rifle's butt plates rested.
  • Applied the first coat of primer.
  • Whew!
Still left to do:
  • Apply the second coat of primer.
  • Buy blue paint.
  • Paint the interior of the case aqua blue.
  • Go pick up ratchet lock.
  • Pick up glass shelves.
  • Find prettier drawer pulls.
I will post a new picture when it's done and delivered on Tuesday and show you how it turned out. For now I'm leaving the exterior white just because I'm short on time but do plan to paint the exterior in the future... I just haven't decided exactly how I want it to look. I have a few pictures in my head I'm contemplating ;)

Opening: March 1, 2017

Home 2 Home
310 Lafayette St
Greenville, MI 48838
(616) 835-9595

0 Click Here to Comment: