HOME

Thursday, January 15, 2009

BBL, IMO, DIY and More :)

Many of you probably know most of this already... But in case you're new to the internet and are a bit confused by the acronyms you often see floating around in blogs, forums and even in emails? Here's a little tutorial for you!

BBL = Be Back Later
BRB = Be Right Back
DIY = Do It Yourself
IMO = In My Opinion
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
LMAO = Laughing My Ass Off
LOL = Laugh Out Loud
OMG = Oh My God
ROTFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing (Because something is so funny)
TY = Thank You

And sometimes you'll see characters that don't seem to make any sense at all. They're emoticons, small sideways pictures that people use to express an emotion. These are the ones I use most often:

:) Smiley face
:( Sad face
:o) Smiley with nose
>:( Angry face
>:D Up to no good
:D Laughing
:P Tongue sticking out

2 Click Here to Comment:

Anonymous said...

one of my pet peeves is when people write LOL when they're not really LOL.
I always reserve my LOL for those literal moments when I'm ACTUALLY LOL. Othewise, I just put a :-)

fake LOLers, pwned!
real LOLers, ftw!

Tinygami said...

LOL (Really I'm laughing out loud) at your comment Andrew. I swear I only LOL when I'm laughing out loud.

But I have really funny friends so I LOL a lot.

Amongst my forum friends even more common is choking then spitting water, tea, soda, wine, what have you, because we inadvertently laugh so hard at what someone else just posted. :D Maybe we should say SOMD for "spit out my drink" for just such occasions.