HOME

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Frost Cupcake Factory: My new favorite cupcake


You may recall I did a review of the Frost Cupcake Factory located in downtown Campbell, CA last summer.  A few days ago I found myself across the street so I stopped in.


I decided to try one white cake cupcake and one chocolate so I chose the Lemon Meringue ($3.25) and the Salt n' Sweet ($3.25) cupcakes.

Just look at how that chocolate glaze filled the fluted edges of the paper cup.

If you like your cupcakes moist and decadent this is the flavor for you. The Salt n' Sweet had a perfect balance of sweetness, rich chocolate, a bit of caramel and a sparing but bold salt flavor. The cake was soooooo moist. I could tell it was freshly baked.


Yum!


When cut you can see the creamy caramel filling. A tip: On both visits the chocolate cakes have been more moist than the white cakes so if moist is your thing, stick with the chocolate cupcakes. On my last visit the Mocha Java and Rose Velvet were also more moist than the white-based cakes.


The Lemon Meringue I had to try because the last time the Key Lime cupcake, topped with a burnt meringue was my favorite.


The lemon curd was perfect. This cake itself had a nice denseness and was just moist enough to not be dry. The white cake has a texture I can only describe as being more dense than the chocolate, kind of like a pound cake, but not as dense as a pound cake. I've always loved white cake. Can you believe as a child I actually hated *gasp* chocolate cake! Duncan Hines cherry chip and white cakes were my flavors of choice.


The combination of the simple cake, tangy curd and ultra-light and sweet meringue is the best. For years Kara's Fleur de Sel was my favorite cupcake but I have to say that now Frost's Key Lime and Lemon Meringue cupcakes are my new favorites. The next time I want a sweet pick-me-up I'll be heading to Frost.

Or maybe it's the Salt n' Sweet. It's a tough call. Can I have three favorites?

Frost Cupcake Factory
199 E. Campbell Ave.
Campbell, CA 95008
408-866-9866

0 Click Here to Comment: