HOME

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Flirty Trailer Build: The Chassis


YAY! These are the first photos of my tiny flirty trailer! My builder Fred has welded my custom, steel tube chassis together. If it looks small to you it's probably because the main cabin area is 4'x6'. So far it weights 83 lbs but he still has to add the axle, wheels, and the welded cage that makes up the sidewalls and top.


This is the frame for the tongue box. Access to it will be from the inside of the trailer, not the outside. I thought this was a good idea to cut down on the possibility of someone stealing my battery. In doing my research about teardrop trailers it appears the most common types of crime associated to them are (in no particular order):
  1. Battery theft - Particularly while any type of RV is in storage
  2. Beer coolers being stolen at RV parks
  3. Solar shower bag theft while the bags are hung outside to heat. (Tip: You can heat them by placing them in the sun inside of a locked car.)
  4. The entire trailer being stolen. A hitch lock and custom paint job can help to protect a trailer from being stolen and a GPS locator system can help to retrieve it if it is taken. 

This is where the jack stand will be placed. It will help to level the trailer when it's parked.

Fred said he'd send me pictures as the build progresses and I'll keep sharing them with you.

When I pick up the trailer it won't be painted but it will be skinned in aluminum. So it'll be silver and look something like this:


Eeeeeeek I can't wait!



To follow the entire build thread from beginning to end just click on the "Trailer - Build" category on the side bar or CLICK HERE.

To view all of my trailer gear and decorating posts CLICK HERE.

0 Click Here to Comment: