HOME

Monday, December 10, 2012

Keeping our cat warm this winter

I almost feel guilty saying it's been cold lately in Northern California because, compared to most of the rest of the country, it's actually been quite warm here. For instance, today's daytime high is forecasted to be 63 ºF and the night time low 45 ºF.

Squash's face is just inches from my own.

But, for Squash (our senior aged cat) it is cold. How can I tell? Because he was spending his time either draping himself over me, basically using me as a heated mattress pad, or curled up in front of our refrigerator vent that barely blows any warm air at all.


He's been so cold he's even been willing to curl up on top of me right next to Kitai.

Hubby didn't want to run the heat in the house at all hours so I needed to come up with a solution. While chatting with my friend Jewel on the phone she mentioned that I could always get Squash a heated cat bed.


I didn't even know they existed! Two days later Hubby and I went to Petsmart and found this Sunbeam Heated Mini Pet Bed. The pad on the bottom has no settings, it just heats up when you plug it into a standard wall outlet.


I was worried Squash wouldn't like or use it but my concerns were for naught. He loves it and spends a good portion of each day and night curled up as a sleeping fuzzy grey ball. Since plugging in his bed I haven't caught him sleeping in front of the refridgerator. Not once.

If your pet is cold this winter a heated bed may be a good solution for them too.

0 Click Here to Comment: