HOME

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Les Misérables is a musical where people sing. A lot.

It may seem obvious that people sing in musicals yet I've read a few reviews since the professional movie critics began publishing their thoughts a week ago that has led me to believe that even some pros didn't understand just how much singing would occupy the script as they took their seats.

Les Misérables isn't The Wizard of Oz or Rock of Ages where a few songs are scattered amongst a lot of dialogue. Nor are the songs lip synched to a pre-recorded sound track. Instead Director Tom Hooper went out on a limb, or asked his actors to, by singing live during the filming. This has made the songs in the trailers so much more poignant and emotional I can well up a few tears just watching the commercials.



Buy hey, I'm not poking fun at anyone's ignorance. I'll admit when I went to see the first installment of Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, I didn't realize it was a trilogy. Insert *face palm* here. And don't worry. I'm already hip to that The Hobbit will also come in three parts. LOL

Les Miserables is sad. That may be an understatement. It's overflowing with angst and heartbreak. That means unless you're a robot you'll probably cry at least once before the movie is over. So bring kleenex or duck into the restroom and make yourself a toilet paper mitten before taking your seat. I may have to do both.

If you forget to bring Kleenex to a tear jerker movie a tp mitten is a quick fix.

Alice Jones at the UK's The Independent quoted director Tom Hooper recounting at a press screening: “For a minute, I freaked out, wondering, what’s that odd sound on the soundtrack,” said Hooper. “I looked around and realised it’s the sound of people crying en masse.”

Hubby often accuses me of enjoying feeling bad. I've disagreed with him in the past but in this instance, he may be right because in her review The Guardian's Catherine Shoard said:
"By the end, you feel like a piñata on the dancefloor: empty, in bits, the victim of prolonged assault by killer pipes."

I can't wait to come out of the theater emotionally drained with the remnants of my toilet paper mitten trailing behind me like tear stained confetti littering the theater floor along with all of the spilled popcorn.

Can. Not. Wait.

Les Misérables opens on Christmas Day


0 Click Here to Comment: